Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lady of Lafayette

Lady of Lafayette is part of my 2010 collection. This was a particularly fun project for me, delving into storytelling.
Being a documentary junkie, I wanted to bring an element of medieval and religious history into the image from a modern perspective. in this case, exposing the current "unearthed truths" about the history of women and religion, as many books like Da Vinci Code explore.
Many religious works of art often tell the story with male characters as the main focal points. In this case my painting was entirely female in subject with hints of conspiracy theory embedded in the surrounding architecture.
And...I was born in New Orleans..the land of superstition. I only saw it fit that Lafayette Cemetery be the modern stage for such a topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment